Pages

Time Spent with My Love

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Growin' Up

When we are young the answer to this question is very simple. Every child seems to know what they want to be when they grow up, and I was no different. I knew I wanted to be a doctor, a lawyer, a mom, and a teacher. I made the choice to become a high school English teacher before I ever walked through the door of my own high school. I KNEW that was what I wanted to be. I KNEW I would be dang good at it too. And I am, and I do love it. However, more and more, as I contemplate the road I want to take, I honestly have NO CLUE what it is that I want to be when I grow up.
I have been on this teacher track for so long that the thought of being anything else is really frightening and exciting. Don't get me wrong. I am still looking for a teaching job. I am still hoping to find something, but more and more I feel as if I need to prepare myself for that horrible and likely chance that I won't find a job again. Then more than ever I will need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.
Nick and I have talked about this extensively. As we think about having a family soon (let's face it, I'm getting old--and NO, this isn't an announcement) we played with the idea of me staying home for about a minute...then Nick said, "Don't you feel as if that would be a waste of your education?" Good one, babe. After being really taken aback at that one, I realized that I spent my whole life thinking that exact thing. And now I don't? Good grief! What is happening to me?
So, what do I want to be when I grow up? A high school English teacher? A school librarian? An administrator? A SAHM? The next American Idol? I just don't know!

2 comments:

I have a good life said...

I say "Idol"! I would be your absolutely #1 fan! Ok...#2...Nick can be first.

All I know is that the search for who you are and who you want to be is pretty darn exciting...and scary...but pretty darn exciting.

I also know that you are so amazing that you will excel at every single thing you try...you have the world at your fingertips and you can do anything....really and truly...anything.

I do think your feelings about SAHMs are funny...when I first met you, that was one of the first things you talked about. Now, not so sure, huh? That is okay. You will be an amazing mom...whether there is a SAH in front or not.

Love ya!

Holly G said...

Ah, stay at home mom. I had no idea what SAHM was, and I thought you had mis-typed SHAM and I was like Jen you are NOT a SHAM! hahaha

YOU ARE SO THE NEXT AMERICAN IDOL!