Pages

Time Spent with My Love

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Book #18

The Titan's Curse
By: Rick Riordan

Let's be honest. I was totally hesitant to read these books. I was! First, because I really didn't understand what they were about; then, because I was afraid of what they would do to Mythology. Having had the absolute joy to teach a semester elective of Mythology for a few years, I sometimes feel like bringing those myths that I love so much into a present day setting is almost sacrilege! Obviously, I have gotten over that. I have now read through book four (this is book three--I am WAY behind on my postings), and I am a Percy Jackson fan! 

The Titan's Curse was a great adventure from beginning to end. I am so glad that I got into this series after all the books were written! This way I can run to the store and pick up the next one immediately. I am currently reeling from the fourth book having finished it not 20 minutes ago, so forgive me if this post is flighty and unfocused. 

Here, however, are the Top Five reasons why I love Percy Jackson:

1. He is absolutely adorable. He totally doesn't believe in himself, but he pulls through every time! This makes him absolutely adorable in my mind. I think that some of my favorite students were those kids who never really believed in their own abilities and genius! 
2. Percy loves his mom. Okay, so I know that in most YA Lit novels, the parental figures don't play a HUGE role. This is really no exception, but I love the way that Percy's mom quite simply loves and supports him unconditionally. She is a wonderful woman, and it is no wonder Poseidon fell for her. 
3. Annabeth. I know, I know. She isn't Percy, but he would not be who he is without her, and she needs him just as much. They are the best of friends, and even if they never become the couple it seems they are destined to be, they will always have each other. 
4. He is smart and resourceful. Not in a conventional way, but heroes hardly ever are. 
5. Percy Jackson is kind and generous, and I hope that his fatal flaw NEVER catches up with him. 

Just read this series. I promise there will be no disappointment.   

UPDATE!!

I realized that while I raved about Percy Jackson, I didn't really write about the book, so I will briefly do that here. The Titan's Curse introduced us to some really great new characters. I instantly loved Artemis and her huntresses. Not because I am a man hating lady, but because I loved the power and friendship they shared with one another. I also like the introduction of Bianca and Nico--Hades children. I kind of felt sorry for the guy, but I always feel sorry for Hades. I love him. He is a better god than anyone ever gives him credit for. The lessons they learn, and the prices that some of them pay broke my heart, but I loved the way in which the lives of those characters lost were honored. RIP Zoe and Bianca. You served your goddess well!

No comments: