Pages

Time Spent with My Love

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, May 14, 2010

Book #17

The Hunger Games
By: Suzanne Collins

Once again, I have read this book before. This time it was a special treat because I got to read it again with Nick. Okay, let's be real...I read it TO Nick. My hubby is not a reader, but he has always loved being read to. When he and I lived in different cities, I read to him over the phone. This time, I read to him before we turned out the light each night. I knew that Nick would love this book, and I would recommend it to just about ANYONE! As usual, from my teacher standpoint, it is a book that will draw in readers of all levels and genders. 

Ah-hem! Let me get on with it:

Katniss Everdeen lives in North America way in the future where we have all fought for the last of the resources, and managed to become a country full of a government and people that today, we despise. The Capitol is in control, and to remind the people who live in the outlying Districts that they are large and in charge, the Capitol hosts The Hunger Games every year. One boy and one girl from each of the 12 districts is selected to go and compete in a competition where each contestant tries to kill the others in an arena built by the Gamemakers that also challenges the survival skills of the contestants. It could be a desert or a frozen wasteland or woods or by the sea. One cannot escape it, however. The only way to get out is to either be killed or win. 
Katniss is from District 12. A poor, coal-mining, district, and the furthest from the Capitol. She hunts with her best friend, Gale, to support their families despite the fact that it is illegal. Her father died, and she takes care of her mother and her younger sister, Prim. Prim will be entered into the drawing for the first time this year because she is 12. Katniss' name is in several more times because she can enter her name once per family member every year in exchange for extra supplies. Gale's name is in there even more, and they are both nervous for the ceremony. 
Prim's name is in once, but against all odds, her name is drawn and without even thinking about it, Katniss volunteers to go in Prim's place. The boy going is Peeta Mellark, and they get on a train headed for the Capitol in what is sure to be a wild and frightening ride. 

This...is all I am going to tell you. There is so much more that happens, and the Games are both bloody and touching, sad and loving. Just read it. I will post a picture later when I can take one with Nick in it. 

Read it! Seriously. 

No comments: