Pages

Time Spent with My Love

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Book #1

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to read a book a week. Well, here we are into week three and I am already behind! I will catch up though--don't you worry about that! I hope to post something about each book that I read, and I would LOVE suggestions from people for what to read next!

Book #1 Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I love reading classics! Jane Austen is a classic herself, so I am determined to read several, if not all, of her books this year! I began with the one I knew I would already love! Despite having the A & E version of the movie memorized (oh Colin Firth! How do I love thee?), I have not read this book! So, when I noticed it sitting on the YA Lit shelf at the Saginaw Library, I snatched it up as fast as I could! I hate to admit that it took me longer to read than I expected, but every time I opened this book, it felt like I was sitting down with an old friend!

Jane, Lizzie, Darcy, Bingley and the rest of them warmed my heart to no end! I read with great anticipation the conversation between Lizzie and Darcy when he proposes to her the first time! I read and CRINGED at the insensitive and classless comments from Mrs. Bennet's mouth! I sneered at Wickham, stuc my tongue out at Miss Bingley, and laughed at Mr. Collins as they all played their part brillantly!

This treasure of a book does not currently grace my bookshelves, but rest assured, it will!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, and to think that you just now read this book! But, since you have the mini-series memorized, aren't you impressed by how true to the dialogue they stayed? I especially love reading Elizabeth's and Lady Catherine's exchange in the "pretty-ish sort of wilderness"...I can just hear them in my head, and it makes me laugh! Would that we could all think as quickly on our feet as Miss Elizabeth does!

Brian (Gus) and Kathy (Kat) said...

I am so glad that you liked "Pride and Prejudice." Although I think "Sense and Sensibility" is better, "P&P" is such a wonderful book! Now, wait six months and read "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies!" It is fabulous! I have been reading so much lately! For young young adult lit, my mythology friend, have you read The Lightning Thief?

Steve said...

I love this one to I also love Austinland by Shanon Hale. It is really cute!

Kathy said...

sorry I was signed in as Steve but that was me, Kathy